Written by Anetra Bryd
According to research, did you know that it takes anywhere from a tenth of a second to 30 seconds for someone to establish an opinion or impression about you? As a result, it’s critical that you think about, and put together, a wardrobe that suits your body type, lifestyle, and personal style.
It’s official: the dating process has resumed. The socially distant dating age has come to an end. Goodbye, “catching up” on a FaceTime dates when simply hanging up was always an option. We’re back, and first impressions are key.
Listen up: your attire should be the last thing on your mind while you’re dealing with first-date nerves. When it comes to clothing, first dates aren’t the time to try something new. Instead, wear something you know you’ll feel good in, and I’m here to help you figure out what that is.
Here are some easy ways in which you can boost your image from the comfort of your home, while prepping for that first date and cleaning your wardrobe up at the same time.
- Purge items that you have not worn in 6 months or longer
- Purge items that “you will wear when you lose 10 pounds”.
- Retain items that compliment your body type. Unsure of your body type? I can assist, reach out.
These easy tasks will help to shift your mind to think differently about wardrobe, image, your body and being intentional. Intentionally planning is key to many things in life, and style and image are a few that will prove rewarding. This method of deliberate thought will also help you prepare for your first date!
It’s the little things that get noticed, so make sure every component of your style is on point before you leave the house. That involves smoothing out every last wrinkle crease, brushing away every last speck of lint, and only going 2-3 buttons open on your shirt. You’ll not only impress your date with how well-dressed you are, but you’ll also feel a lot more confident.
Fear not and just enjoy the flow of your date. Your clothing might be an addition to their impression but as long as you are confident and comfortable, you won’t have a problem. Remember to just mix-and-match and you’ll probably come up with the best cloth ideas!
Now let’s get into some specific items for both ladies and gentlemen. For your first date, consider the following for outfit inspiration…
- Ladies – Wrap dress or pencil skirt v-neck top, diamond studs.
- Gentlemen – Blazer, clean button-down shirt, slacks. Will add in more here before
These pieces are classic and unobtrusive, and they show your potential suitor that you care about how you look. Once, he or she realizes that you invest in yourself, they will begin to also want to invest in you!
In addition, here are some final tips I can leave you with…
- Consider what makes you think the most self-assured.
- Wear something you’ve worn before and know you’ll feel good throughout the day.
- Bring out those pieces you save for special occasions.
- Do not wear a brand-new item that might make you uncomfortable.
- Never dress in a way that will make you question yourself for being unrecognizable.
- Don’t stress yourself. Dress what you like, and you’ll make your date impressed.
If you’re interested in working on your wardrobe, improving how you dress to feel confident and comfortable, or learning what fits best for your body type, feel free to reach out to me here!